started this petition to
Dr Dan Poulter, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health
In Feb 2011 the Government announced that herbalists were to be statutorily regulated saying that “this is the right decision, which will benefit both practitioners and the public who use herbal medicines”. Two years on, because the Government has failed to honour its commitments, herbal practice is in peril. As a result of an EU directive on Traditional Herbal Medicinal products which came into force in April 2011:
• The future of practitioners of herbal medicine is threatened.
• Herbal practitioners have lost the right to prescribe many commonly used herbal medicines
• The public has lost access to a wide range of herbal medicines available from practitioners
• The loss of the right to supply many herbal medicines is driving many herbal practitioners and their herbal suppliers out of business
• Patient and public safety is threatened